|Mitt Romney "If it walks & quacks like at duck (lobbyist) it is a duck (Newt)"|
- Capital Gains Taxes - No one with adjusted gross income under $200,000 should be taxed on interest, dividends or capital gains.
- Corporate Tax - Cut corporate tax rate to 25 percent from a high of 35 percent.
- Current Tax System - Opposes proposals to replace current tax system with national sales tax because he says it raises taxes on middle class while lowering them for rich and poor. (My opinion - It would put to many tax preparers out of work.
- Make Bush-era tax cuts, including for the wealthy, permanent.
- Estate Tax - Eliminate estate tax.
- Gays - Favors constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, says policy should be set federally, not by states. "Marriage is not an activity that goes on within the walls of a state."
- Abortion - Opposes abortion rights. Previously supported them. Says state law should guide abortion rights and Roe v. Wade should be reversed by a future Supreme Court.
- Debt - Cap federal spending at 20 percent of gross domestic product, down from today's recession-swollen 25 percent.
- Energy - Accelerate drilling permits in areas where exploration has already been approved for developers with good safety records. Supports drilling in the Gulf of Mexico, Atlantic and Pacific outer continental shelves, Western lands, the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and offshore Alaska; and supports exploitation of shale oil deposits. Reduce obstacles to coal, natural gas and nuclear energy development. Says green power has yet to become viable.
- Healthcare - Promises to work for the repeal of the federal health care law modeled largely after his universal health care achievement in Massachusetts because he says states, not Washington, should drive policy on the uninsured. But would retain the prohibition against denying insurance to people with pre-existing conditions. Would expand individual tax-advantaged medical savings accounts and let the savings be used for insurance premiums as well as personal medical costs.
- Immigration - Favors complete U.S.-Mexico border fence, opposes education benefits to illegal immigrants. Proposes more visas for holders of advanced degrees in math, science and engineering who have U.S. job offers, and would award permanent residency to foreign students who graduate from U.S. schools with a degree in those fields.
The Sane Choice for President ...